SM Tidy... A brief History
The name S.M. Tidy (Public Works) Ltd. was established in the 1930's by the late Sidney Tidy from which various other companies were formed over the years.
The main activities of these companies included civil engineering, main laying, plant hire, skip hire, machinery moving, haulage etc.
In the early 1950's Mr. Tidy purchased the old Ditchling Potteries on Ditchling Common which in total was approximately 28 acres which included some buildings and drying sheds that were put into use as workshops for the plant hire company.
Due to a merger and a subsequent take over in the late 1960’s the original workshop site became the property of R.M.C. properties which prompted Mr. Tidy to develop part of the remaining site still in his ownership into warehousing and light industrial units.
Most of these were purpose built units and were erected in the 1970’s.
Mr. Sidney Tidy passed away in 1980 when his son Mark Tidy and son in law Trevor Robbins continued on with the running of the company although these days the estate is managed by Simon Tidy and Oakley Commercial on a daily basis.